Application Requirements and Process
The program offers eight categorical positions per year.
The UCR Family Medicine Residency Program only accepts applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Please register with the NRPM to apply to our program.
Applications and all communication during the recruitment/interview season will only be accepted through ERAS. No paper application materials, email, fax, or regular mail submissions will be accepted.
A complete application includes the ERAS common application form, the Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) and transcripts, the USMLE or COMLEX transcripts, a Personal Statement, and three Letters of Recommendation.
- Three letters of recommendation (LORs)
- To strengthen your application, please consider submitting at least one letter from a Family Medicine physician or a Family Medicine Department Chair.
- International medical graduates are required to submit:
- ECFMG Standard Certification with valid date
- Score for examinations used to qualify for the ECFMG certificate
- US citizenship, permanent residency, or documentation of valid work permit
- For International Medical Graduates: ECFMG Certification with a valid date
All applicants invited for interview are considered good candidates for the program based on the review of the ERAS application. We evaluate candidates holistically based on experiences, attributes, metrics and competence.
Applicants are invited for interviews and visits from late October through January. To increase your chances of securing an interview date, we recommend applying before November 15.
Hiring and Contracting
Applicants who successfully match with our program must provide the following additional documentation prior to the start of the program:
- Official medical school transcript indicating that a degree was issued and the date of issuance.
- Copy of medical school diploma.
- Copy of Social Security card.
- Copy of current driver's license.
- Copy of permanent resident card if applicable.